Whats going on all of beautiful people of the world?
Just dropping by to give you some insight into one of the projects I stumbled into recently. I am currently attempting to create one of the largest, most detailed images of our Milky Way Galaxy. Using nothing more than DSLR mounted with a 50mm lens, an equatorial mount and an autoguiding system.
I stumbled into this project out of chance, or better yet let’s call it fate. My main imaging telescope has been messed up for a long time. If you look at most of the deep space images Ive captured over the past year you will notice all of the bright stars in those images have wedges on opposite sides of each star. I dealt with the annoyance at first, though I am really trying to progress in my work so these odd shaped stars have to go!
Long story short I was forced to send my telescope into the manufacturer to have it tuned up. In doing so I am out a telescope for a few weeks. As fate would have it the day that I tore my scope down and packed it up the weather cleared and has been clear every night since.
Being without an imaging scope I figured I try setting my 50mm lens loose under the stars for one night to see how it would perform. Needless to say I was very impressed with how that lens performed that first night out. Not only did I capture much more detail than I ever thought possible the quality of the data collected was very good as well. With the exception of a small amount of chromatic aberration and very little spherical aberration I was quite impressed.
If your wondering the lens that I am referring to is the Canon 50mm f1.8 which I had purchased just a week earlier.
I was so impressed in fact that I am really in no hurray to get my APO telescope back. I am fairly sure I will be spending most of the summer and possibly into early fall imaging the dust lanes and nebula of the Milky Way Galaxy. By the end of this year I would like to have on of the largest, most detailed images of the Milky Way Galaxy in existence.
With that being said the image featured in this post is the result of two nights of imaging. On night one I collected 66 or so 250 second exposures. Because of air traffic and photographic error I ended up tossing half of those exposures. On night number two I collected 63 exposures at 250 seconds each. I was able to use nearly 100% of those exposures.
So in total I used nearly 100 photos totaling nearly 25,000 seconds of exposure captured within the time span of 2 evenings. 31 or so pf those photos went into the first frame, over 60 went into the 2nd frame stitched to the first.
If the weather cooperates I should have no problem completing my goal this summer, if not I guess Ill have to make it a project that spans the length of two summer seasons.
Till next time guys, thanks for dropping by and keep your eyes to the sky!