To an adventurer of lost and abandon amusement parks this place is absolute gold! This site is the historic site of the original Mountain Park amusement park that opened it’s doors to the public in 1883! The park was one of the first like it in America with a number of attractions. The park closed it’s doors in 1908 due to intrusive mining being done under the park. They feared that it may collapse into a mine causing catastrophic destruction, which never happend.
In 1912 the park was completely relocated to a new location and reopened. This new and improved Mountain Park featured several new attractions including merry-go-rounds, a ferris wheel and even a roller coaster. The park never regained it’s popularity and went belly up a few short years later.
It doesn’t take long to figure out why they chose this location for the original amusement park. It’s absolutely beautiful!
There is very little evidence that anything ever existed here other than a few partial foundations. One looks like the foundation to an old walkway and bridge that crossed the base of one of the larger waterfalls. While a few others look like they may have been stone worked supports for a dance floor, or some kind of antiquated ride. It’s hard to tell and there is very little information out there regarding the original park.